Soundboards

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:42:36 -0400

Hey there Tricky Dicky! <Grin>

I never really thought about it, but I guess the process I think of as
tapering could be considered 'carving'.

Actually, you'll find more variation in the thickness dimensions than you
might think.  Some are thicker, and some are thinner.  Some have a lot of
'taper', and some have very little.

I think about the soundboard in very elementary terms, especially compared
to a number of other people.  Those strings in the treble, they don't move
very far when set into motion.  The soundboard doesn't need to move very far
either.  It needs to be quite rigid.  If it's not, it doesn't work so well.
Conversely, on the bass end of the piano, those bass strings are whipping up
and down pretty good, really covering some territory.  In the bass end, that
soundboard needs to be able to move.  If it's too rigid, it tends to have a
'clamping' effect upon the sound.  FWIW, I've been coming to the personal
conclusion that too heavy a downbearing in the bass end can have a
'clamping' effect as well.

So, to answer your question, the soundboard is typically thickest at the
belly rail, and gets thinner as it approaches the nose end.  Numbers that
are in common use are varied.  Belly rail thickness can be 3/8.  I've heard
of a little more, and I've heard of a little less.  I've seen thickness at
the nose at as little as 6/32, and then some that had little difference from
the bellyrail thickness.

I like to start around the inner curve of the bent side and taper down to
the nose and then back up along the straight side.  (This is on a grand.)  I
don't usually take it all the way to the belly rail, although I don't know
that it would necessarily cause any problems if I did.

This is one of those things that most every builder develops their own ideas
and techniques.  But it's interesting.

Hope I didn't take off on too wide a tangent.

Just had to add my $0.02

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net