Mileage and per diems

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 08:43:06 -0500

I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to do.=20

On the income side, I report mileage as an "item" as taken off my =
invoices; i.e. what I charge a customer in mileage is reflected in it's =
own category.

On the expense side, because I can't answer as I take the depreciation =
route - that way I can deduct all the gas, oil, washes, wipers, tires, =
insurance, etc. and come out better than 30 cents a mile or whatever the =
going rate is.

Per diem? Can you define what it is that you're doing? Are you charging =
your customers an additional fee for being away from home? That's =
income, but your travel expenses should be deductable as seperate items: =
 motel =3D$$. dining =3D$$, etc.

I suggest however, that a sit down with your accountant would clear it =
up. A good one will be familiar with several accounting methods, Quick =
Books for sure.

Roy Ulrich