soundboard?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 12:17:05 -0500

>Beg all you can stand Ron.

Since insisting wouldn't have any more effect than begging, let's try this...

>I found it fairly easy to flatten a flat ribbed board before it's
>installation.  Kind of fun actually.  Remember Mason & Hamlin's old
>sales gimmick with the strip of soundboard material and business
>card?  If a board can be moved but a few thousandths of an inch it
>can lose crown, I think.

Sure it can, but not by moving the perimeter support, because the perimeter
isn't what's holding the crown in the first place. As long as we are on
demos, try that old Fandrich demo (that's the old demo, not the old
Fandrich) of wedging the rim of a grand in or out a bit and see what, if
anything, happens to the crown. We've been through this already a couple of
times in the past, and soundboard crown still isn't an end supported arch.

> it
>is amazing the we don't have more flat boards than we know of.

We have many many more flat boards out there than any of us know of.
Actually, a flat board can still be ok functionally. What I mean is
negative crowns that are supposed to be positive. If we checked everything
we tuned, we'd probably be appalled at the percentage. It's just that
nobody, including me, normally, checks crown unless the customer has a
complaint about the sound of the instrument, or the tuner notices something
awful. Even then, most techs won't check the crown, or will only check it
at the longest rib ( in an area of the scale where the problem isn't ), and
assume it's a hammer voicing problem.

>PS  Ron has installed many more boards than I (2)

Right.

and is brighter than me (IQ?)

Wrong.

>but I am right, even when I'm wrong I'm right, so
>there!

Ok Newton, you win. You're wrong.  8-)

Ron N