AUDIO RECORDING OF ACTUAL TUNING

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 06:40:38 -0500

Tom,

<<Thanks John, I have noticed the problem with muting material, especially
while doing pitch raises.  I do not have the Jorgensen book.  I have the
White book which gives examples of tests.....Are they the same, or am I
missing out?  Would you recommend my purchasing the Jorgensen book?>>

Regarding 4ths and 5ths tests...you can check the size of the 4ths by the
"3rd--6th" test. Play a third down from the bottom note. This will also form
a 6th with the top note. Compare beat rates. If the beat rate is equal, then
it is a just 4th. If the beat rate is faster for the 6th than the 3rd, the
4th is wide. If the beat rate is slower, then the 4th is narrow.

For 5ths, I use the "6th--10th" test. Play a major 6th down from the bottom
note, which will also form a 10th with the top note. If the 6th is equal to
the 10th, then the 5th is just. If the 6th is faster, then the 5th is
narrow. If slower, then it is wide. You can also use the same test note an
octave up, which will be a m3rd--M3rd test. I like using the former because
the beats are not as fast.

Is this the same as White?

If you can find the Jorgensen book, yeah, I'd recommend buying it just to
have for future reference. It is a good history of development, altho I've
not done much referring to it since I bought it. (Working on ET for the
tuning exam.)  It is primarily useful for aurally tuning "historical"
temperaments. If you will not be doing much of that, then it might not be
the thing for you, especially since all those temperaments are done via
electronics anyway.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS