Soundboards

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:07:30 -0400

<The amount of downforce used in the piano would quickly crush any
soundboard panel not supported by substantial ribbing.>

Del......Perhaps I could have made a more clear comparison.  Other
carved top instruments, such as violins, viols, and even the arch top
guitar are not without top bracing, even though such is often referred
to as "bass bars" or "tone bars".   I should have said, "is it possible
that a piano soundboard on which the crown is effected initially by
carving, then adding the appropriate curved bracing, could result in a
better sounding instrument?"  I know this would be a lot of work, but
what if it made the difference between a good sounding
instrument......and a great sounding one?

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee -