An observation - a prediction - somewhat off-topic

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 09:22:09 -0400

Hi Phil and all,

The PTG Survey that we - ahem - all filled out backs up everything you're
saying basically.  The largest % of new techs coming into the trade are 40
years old or older, something like 60% + if memory serves me correctly.  BUT
the 20 year old and under bracket comprises of only 2% of new techs coming
into the trade!

How I read this is my business will never lack for work unless I turn into a
total screw up.  As the older techs retire in my area that leaves techs like
me (age bracket of 40 to 50 yrs old, I'm 45) sitting mighty pretty in
picking up at least part of the customers these retirees are leaving.

I owe a lot to these older techs in my area for showing me the ropes so to
say.  It amazes me how much knowledge they have and are very free in sharing
it in order to make me a better tech.

This trade is one of the best kept secrets out there.  How many kids in high
school sit at there desks and day dream about becoming a piano tech and
associating a descent pay with it?  Talk about debunking mode.  Sure it is
up to us as individuals to promote PTG but if we as an organization were
really serious about it we would be going into high school career fairs or
getting involved in the "shadowing programs" , this is were an interested
individual follows you around for a day as you go about your work (add your
own one liner here).  Also a little TV advertisement wouldn't hurt either.
Get a spot in on a broadcast with piano music on it.  I know this is major
bucks, but for all I know the PTG might have it or should consider raising
it and then spending it.

Yet, all this might be shooting ourselves in the foot as the trade is
flooded with new people that we end up competing against :)

All this might be shooting off at the mouth too (see grin above).

Doug Mahard