why use non-ET?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:43:26 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/00 5:18:18 PM Central Daylight Time, JIMRPT@AOL.COM
writes:

<< Aiming at an "ET target" and missing it no more invalidates the ET theory
 than does aiming at an "alternative" target and missing it invalidates that
 theory....does it?  Is it a mistaken action to call something 'ET' which
 misses the mark by .3 cents on a note? If so, would it not also be a
mistaken
 action to miss a 1/7 meantone by .3 cents on one note and still say it was
an
 1/7 meantone?

  And couldn't we also reasonably say that 'no one' has ever tuned a 'true'
 Valotti-Young? >>

Again Ron has done some great work showing that he understands that
Temperament is after all, an important topic.  I have seen technicians get up
in arms about other subjects too such as quality of replacement hammers
available.  I have seen heated arguments about non-Steinway  Teflon bushings,
hammer juicing, pinblock doping, CA glue and using  replacement parts.  The
battle raged for years over Aural vs. Electronic Tuning with the kind of
temperament used never even entering into the debate.

In the scheme of things, the use of a Victorian type temperament as a
substitute for ET admittedly makes a small difference, one that most people,
ordinary listeners, musicians and technicians alike probably would not
recognize unless informed.  But does this make the use of such a temperament
insignificant or immaterial?  Couldn't you say the same thing about the
choice of one brand of replacement hammer over another?  Couldn't you say the
same thin about the Wapin bridge?  Most people would never know the
difference so therefore, what's the big deal?

All of the factors that contribute to the betterment of piano sound and
performance are important whether they are so obvious or not.  It would be
foolish of me to dismiss the Wapin bridge idea for example, just because I
don't rebuild pianos.  It follows that rebuilders who ignore advancement in
temperament and other advanced tuning techniques understanding are missing an
opportunity to enhance their best work.

To take the last of Jim's statements first, it is indeed far easier to tune a
Vallotti-Young Temperament perfectly than it is to tune ET perfectly.  This
subject has been covered before rather thoroughly.  Even though a 1/7 Comma
Meantone is *defined* as a series of 3.0 tempered 5ths, it does not change
the basic character of the temperament to either make a small error or make a
deliberate alteration (as Tim Farley RPT of Madison often does).  It still
will be a 1/7 Comma Meantone.

Unfortunately however, as soon as there is a perceptible error or alteration
of ET, it is no longer ET.  Take the example of the Quasi ET that has only
one note different by 1 cent.  That makes a deliberate and significant
difference.  If one allows lots of errors, even if they are small to be
introduced to the temperament, that which was intended to be ET easily
becomes something else.  Unfortunately, these errors often have an adverse,
not beneficial effect.

Understanding of Temperament is important.  Thanks for sticking your neck
out, Ron.  Your example proves your point.  A straight line can only be
straight if it really is but a curve is still a curve even if that curve is
not exactly as intended.  Small errors in most HT's truly do not matter
because they do not change the basic character of the temperament but small
errors in ET do change the purpose and intent of the work radically.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin