Yellow Page ads

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:37:43 -0700

Wallace,

That is interesting about price shoppers where you live.  Here in the Bay
Area, in my experience, I don't get a lot of price shopping.  Everything is
expensive out here so what I charge seems within the norm.  There is a lot
of disposable money.  I don't expect to get every customer who calls and
frankly I don't care as I'm too busy anyway.

David I.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Wallace Scherer
Sent: Monday, April 17, 2000 4:35 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Yellow Page ads

I don't remember who asked about the yellow page ads, but here's what I
remember from a survey I did on this list about three years ago.

* Most technicians who have YP ads believe that a "presence" in the YP is
very important in order to confirm a name or phone number and to add a
sense of legitimacy to the business. For this purpose, the cheapest
listing available is all that's necessary.

* Most techs having display ads thought they were NOT worthwhile unless
they emphasized a particular specialization within the trade.

* The closer to the top of the list you are, the more calls you get by
those just letting their "fingers do the walking" without any other point
of reference.

* Those other "Yellow Pages", not the local phone company's book, are
generally not used that much, hence not worth the cost of the ad.

Here's another thing I have found out here in Florida. Even though I'm at
or near the top of the list, for those just calling through the YP
listing, price is important. I don't get much business from my ad because
I generally charge $70 for a first time tuning and another local tech
only charges $50! I'm thinking about what I should do. Maybe a voucher
through SaveCashSave.com which is a new advertising medium you might want
to look into.

Wally Scherer
Lake Worth, FL

Send e-mail to: WallyTS@iname.com or