piano stuff

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:31:56 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, April 01, 2000 11:49 AM
Subject: piano stuff

Ron
A dealer I service carried the Walters for several years. About a dozen or
so were sold during that time-only 2 grands. To date no one has replaced any
of the bass strings; and the techs consider it a nice piano to tune and
service. They didn't catch on, so the dealer dropped the line.

Paul Chick

> Charles Walter vertical: Finally got to tune one of these critters. Nice
> piano, good scale, pleasant sound, tuned real pretty. A couple of things
> caught my attention. It seems that the designer squeezed and pried,
> possibly muttered some too, to get the last millimeter of bass string
> length into the available space. The hitch pins are below the top of the
> bottom board, and the string angle is as far over as the case width would
> allow. That puts that first bass agraffe way up in the upper left to get
> the strike point right on that long string, and that didn't leave a good
> place for the tuning pin. Consequently, the string angle going through the
> agraffe is maybe 80°! I could feel that string grunching (technical term)
> through the agraffe when I pulled it to pitch. Made me want to retrofit an
> idler pulley to decrease the angle. How long before that sucker pops when
> try to move it? Has anyone had any trouble with this in these pianos?
Other