Teaching about Walter

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart1@juno.com
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:55:32 -0500

I get
> rankled when
> someone waits until the last minute to ask me to do something, then
> expects
> me to bail them out (unless someone cancelled on them late or
> something like
> that).

WELL, I declare!.............    Actually, I will declare that, yes,
someone bailed on them, the Walter dealer locally who seems about to drop
the line because "profit margins aren't high enough"......  Pretty sad, I
do declare- now so much for declaring.................., except that my
initial reaction was also one of significant irritation at being called
at the last minute to bail them out.  OTOH, it'll force me to learn a
bit, become a bit more articulate, and maybe even drum up some business.
  A tech of vastly more experience and reputation than I has had much to
say about the sad state of affairs in several local dealerships (similar
thread run months ago on the List).    So, the store had agreed to do
this presentation, but it appears  they didn't figure it worth their
time.

Do you feel an obligation to accept this "challenge"?  And
> why
> specifically Walter pianos?
	Walter pianos, I guess, because they decided to do a program on Walter
pianos. I don't know if I'm partly to blame, as I had spoken very highly
to the program chairperson regarding Walters.   I feel "obligated", as
this gentleman has sent me several customers, and several music (piano)
teachers will be at the meeting- an opportunity to spread my name a bit.
I'm still a very hungry tooner, and this little Music Teachers Assoc.
meets in the area of Houston to which everyone is moving.  So, it's a
feather in my cap.

 FWIW, Walter has a very good
> reputation.
> I service only two or three verticals, and they seem okay to me.

	The gentleman who was my primary tech teacher says Walter is the best
built in America..............  His opinion, of course, and he, a fellow
Hoosier, is a bit biased, since the thing is built in Indiana. However,
my limited experience with them has also been very good, and I'd like to
give them a good "plug". However, it's be sad if one had to drive 250
miles to go see one.
Thanks for the note in Piano Book. I'll surely have my copy with me, and
recommend that book even more than the piano.  Apologies to those dealers
who seem to actually care about their pianos and customers, it seems to
this biased observer that piano salespersons, professional wrestlers, and
used car salesmen go in the same box in this town.  The local Steinway
dealer seems to be an exception- but since they're "high end", they can
"afford" a bit more attention to their stuff. Rumor has it that their
pianos go into homes in proper regulation, tuning, etc.

Thanks for the reply.
les bartlett

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.