A440 under fire

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:08:14 +0200

These past weeks I have been asked by several different teachers and
students to tune the pianos at the University at different pitches.
These range from 439 to 442. When I mention that international standard
is 440 and that despite this the local symphony and the Univeristy
student symphony tunes at 442 I get these looks like I am crazy. These
folks mean hardnosed that concert pitch is 442 and that 440 is old hat.
Grin... I retort that everything I have read on the subject says 440,
and that even tho they use 442 I get requests for pitch as low as 439
from some of these same teachers.

My hours are limited and we have a rather optmistic upgrading program
going on (fixing up instruments that have had waaayyyy to little
attention above and beyond tuning through the years). So I have been
trying to go the middle road for 2 years now making sure the concert
instruments are at 441, and all others do not vary from the 440 to 442
range. This has worked well and all seem satisfied by and large, yet I
am still mystified by this insistance that the pitch standard is 442.

Where can I document international standards regarding this ?

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.