Quality in Pianos

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 05 Apr 2000 14:30:15 +0200

Hi Richard.. just thought I'd through my two cents in again on this one.

Grotrians are pretty well made pianos, no doubt about it. One can argue about
sound and duplexs and all that but these are solid built pianos with very
decent actions. What I hear from many pianists, and the feeling I get my self
is that they simply dont have any charachteristic sound that reaches out to you
and says.. "play me !!"..  Nothing special or exciting about them. That being
said I like them as well. The grands do have a lot of very active non speaking
length string segments, and I think that kinda clouds the sound a bit, but I am
not sure yet what silencing these would do to the over all sound effect. I have
one at the UiB that makes just too much of this kinda resound that I am going
to fool with a bit when I get the time.. grin.. I really have too many
"plans".. but I'll get around to it soon enough tho. Uprights are a little
sensitive to climatic changes so damp chasers are a real plus. Nice clean (few
false beats) sound on almost everyone of the uprights I service.

--
Richard Brekne
Associate PTG, N.P.T.F.