piano purchase

Hayley Gilreath hgilreath@mindspring.com
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 18:43:33 -0400

James,

A couple of thoughts.  All of the brands that have been mentioned are quite
reputable as are such names as Seiler, Schimmel, Baldwin, Young Chang, etc.
Frankly, I feel that you can get a fine product from any of these
manufacturers.  However, the biggest difference is in how the instrument is
prepared at the dealership and how the instrument is maintained after the
sale.  Every new piano needs attention to the details in order to perform as
you desire it to.  Therefore, a dealer who uses an RPT to get your piano
ready should be providing a better product that the dealer who hires in the
cheapest labor possible.  Further, the instrument will only perform as well
as it is maintained.  In the long run, buy the best piano you can find and
be sure that it was treated properly from the time it's unpacked until it's
retired

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Director - PTG Annual Institute
July 5-9, 2000 - Arlington, VA
agilreath@mindspring.com

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
JAMES CUSUMANO
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2000 3:39 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: piano purchase

I was just wondering if I could pick your brains for any
opinions, info, etc. on a new grand.  I just started to look
at Kawai, Yamaha and Steinway.
The maximum length I can fit is 6' 1". Therefore my choices are a Yamaha
C-3, Kawai RX-3 or Steinway Model M.
Pricing aside, what are your feelings on these models.
When you take price into consideration, is the Steinway
worth the extra money? Or, would I enjoy the others
just as much?