Not another one on buying pianos....

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 21:01:45 +0200

Hello Zeng,

As I live in Europe, I have a lot of experience with the three b's and the
S.
Sauter can be surprisingly strong but there are a few things you should kno=
:
If it is the R2 modell you will encounter problems with felt wearing out
because of the R2(double repetition spring). Also, the R2 is more difficult
to regulate.. I would not buy that one.
Furthermore, after a number of years most Sauters have lost the major part
of their beauty and it is really hard to get back what you liked in the
first place.
The Bl=FCthner I would not buy either because of the weakness in tone, it wil=
not get stronger but more shrill and thin.
Bechstein is a different story, but an expensive one.
If I were you, I would opt for a very old Bechstein upright and I would hav=
it restored buy a really good tech....
I have such an instrument at home and it has a most incredible sound, a
sound you can not buy anew anymore, that is why I prefer the older type.
The only very important thing with old instruments is the loss of crown, so
on such an oldie you need new ribs.

Good hunting,=20
and friendly greetings.
from