More advice needed

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 02 Apr 2000 23:18:10 -0400

Friends,

Thanks so much for those of you who gave additional advice.  I used as much
of it as I could.  I thought you might want to know the final outcome.

I was glad I hadn't attempted to sell her any of the leather interior or
sound system options Dan Dannenfelser mentioned, since I really do want to
do business on the safest moral, legal, and ethical level.  As Jim Bryant
suggested, I called the client and offered to absorb the cost of the
screwdriver, which greatly relieved her.  I also took Keith McGavern's
advice and told her she could send the money in three equal payments, one
Tuesday, one Wednesday, and one Thursday.  When she heard that she became
positively ecstatic, and it is now obvious she would never consider any
other piano technician in the world.  I'm sure we'll be friends for life
(she's 97).

Some advice I really had no need for, as things worked out.  There was
really no need to request the services of Bubba, Ron Nossaman's friend, I
guess.  Although I appreciated Willem Blees mentioning the bankruptcy
option, that won't be necessary now either, thank you, since I'll have my
money by the end of the week.

As for suing the supplier that sold me the tilter, as Tom Robinson
suggested, well, you see, that might make them hopping mad and they might
not want me as a customer anymore, and then I might have to open an account
with [name deleted].  THEN where would I be, huh?!

Actually, Tom, the idea of splitting the cost of the SUV between this client
and the next two who own spinets has some merit, in my opinion, if I modify
it a little.  How about adding to *every* spinet owner's bill a third of the
cost of an SUV?  Now I could see how that might add to my annual income, but
I might have to listen to my "Psychology of Selling" cassettes once or twice
more before implementing this strategy.

I forget who mentioned the idea of suing the car manufacturers for not
taking into consideration the needs of the world's piano technicians.
Personally, I think that's probably overkill and also likely to stir up
animosity.  It seems to me that a kind letter sent to the top brass of
General Motors, along with a box of those gooey Easter candy marshmallow
peeps ($1.59), would be much kinder and still have the desired effect.

Ah, well, I'm glad some of you enjoyed the joke.  I was eagerly watching for
some April 1 spoof, but when it got to 5 p.m. and none had yet appeared
(that I recognized, anyway), we just couldn't let the day go by without
SOMEthing, could we?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger