One Piece Ivory

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 01 Apr 2000 23:52:45 -0600

Hi John,
            One piece ivory was used by both Yamaha and Bossy, but I've
only seen this on post war production. I would be sceptical with regards to
Sherlock Manning.
A little spot of acetone on a cloth and dab it on the tail of the key top,
under the fall board felt area will proove it for sure.
Regards Roger

At 12:33 AM 02/04/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Was there ever such a covering as one piece ivory? I've always seen ivory
as a "head" and a "tail" with a (usually) visible crack. I've always used
this crack to distinguish between ivory and plastic.

>Today, a 75 year old lady tells me her chipped keys on a 1934 Sherlock
Manning are ivory! I say they are plastic because there's no separation
between head and tail. She says her parents bought the piano when she was
nine and, except for a time when she ran away from home at 19 to get
married, says that the keys have NEVER been recovered in plastic.

>Sixty per cent of the overhangs are chipped and she thinks they can be
repaired like teeth. How can I convince her that these tops are plastic? Or
are they?

>John Lillico, RPT,
>Oakville ON  Canada

Roger Jolly