Woahh Der !!

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 23:01:26 +0200

Well freinds.. its fall in Bergen, and that means a big drop in
humidity. And thats what we are in the middle of now. It started about
10 days ago and the first results are already in. Amoung the most
drastic are a few grands at the University which all of a sudden have
displayed really springe hammer rails. Inspection of a 1 year old Yamaha
C6 today showed 2 mm of air between the bed and the keyframe on the
right side, and a little over a mm on the left side of the action. I
took the director up to take a look, and he seemed a bit concerned. We
have a central humidity system, but it requires bi weekly service and
the maintance department refuses to see the "problem" in a serious
matter, so it gets neglected over periods of time. We scream, they come,
then they wait til we scream again. Meanwhile the instruments are
suffering big time.

I suppose I have to re-bed the worst of these grands, but then come
summer time the reverse will happen eh ??? nice.. I am wondering if the
Dampchaser humidifier system is up to the job. It would be used
primarily increase humidity during the dry season, as our summers hold
around 50-55 % inside the building. Now its at around 30% and dropping.
Rooms are typically 300 square feet or so for the teachers rooms where
all the best grands are. Student practice rooms are just big enough to
fit a 9 footer in and still have room to sit and play. Any and all
advice is welcome, including advice on how to get through to these
administrative types as to the seriousness of the problem.

Thanks

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway