Key End Felt

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:26:20 -0400

Most grands have the underlever sloping slightly into the key.
I've never scrutinized the assembly for this but I would imagine
that the underlever is parallel to the keybed or a little beyond center
when the key is fully depressed.

I know of a grand where the owner has constantly complained about
the pedal action. After trying numerous things which helped it, nothing
got to the core of the problem. Following a few Renner USA back action
replacements and the Bechstein key notching, I noticed the underlevers
on her piano are parallel to start. Maybe it is like playing 'out' of the
damper rather than playing 'into' it. ?huh  This was while installing
spring assist wippens (removing 3lbs of lead).  I wanted to address this
and replace the backaction because the sostenuto tabs are a thin piece of
rubber glued into the top flange. She decided to live with it and enjoy the
ease of the action while retaining her desired BW.

Jon Page

At 02:41 PM 10/22/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Avery writes:
>>I have some firm green Renner felt that seems to be about the right
>>thickness.  it
>>seems to me that the only problem it would cause, even if it _is_ too
>>thick, is to have to cut a little off the end of the damper wire.
>>   Am I missing anything? Any thoughts, warnings, etc.?
>
>Greetings,
>I don't think we can have too many warnings when it comes to changing damper
>geometry.  It is a subject that has fooled me in many way.
>    There is a particular geometrical relationship between the arcs of the
>key end and underlever.  The best relationship, from a friction standpoint,
>seems to be like the "ideal" relationship of the capstan to its pad. i.e.
if

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net