What do you do with a square action?

paulmcrpt@juno.com paulmcrpt@juno.com
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 11:07:58 -0400

On Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:01:23 -0500 Robert Goodale <rrg@nevada.edu>
writes:
 He now wants to preserve
>the case only and install a digital piano inside.  With the action
>already out and leaning again a wall he wants to give it the ol'
>heave right away.  He asked Alan and I if we wanted it for anything.

I understand, I think from this list, that the Mississippi Queen etc.
steamboats have a square with a PianoDisc Quiet Time installed in one of
their lounges.  this is a great idea for these old timers.  If the
strings, dampers and pins can be made to look nice as well as the case,
the electronics can be activated from the original keyboard without the
acoustic piano adding its own voice.  This is not a player system at all,
but a way to turn an interesting cabinet or useful keyboard into a viable
instrument, maybe for the first time.  It offers your choice of 16 or 128
voices ( choose the 128 voice GT 360 ).  If the alternative which I
gather from your post is to just stick any old plastic keyboard into the
cavity,  my gut reaction is "yuck".  At least make it look like a nice
historical piece, but just don't let the hammers touch the strings.  Yes,
I am a dealer for PianoDisc and an installer, but I really believe in the
product and besides, Nevada is way out of my territory.  Look into it
before you dynamite the action.

Paul McMillin, RPT
Carlisle, PA