help! w/ werckmeister III

Horace Greeley hgreeley@popserver4.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 21:54:55 -0700

Chris and Allan,

At 11:49 PM 10/14/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Try this: Werckmeister's Correct Temperament, No. 3 (1/4 - comma)(from
>Barbour's Tuning & Temperament, p. 162) offsets are in cents:

etc.

FWIW, be aware that Barbour did most of his measurement work
with a Conn Strobotuner (the small, brown box) not the StroboConn
(the big black, two piece box).  Among the differences is the quality
not only of the basic circuitry, but the power supply behind it.  The
Strobotuners are notoriously, ah, flexible as to measurement unless
the supply (110VAC) is pretty well regulated.  Also, some of his
earlier measurements were made from tapes made by Wesley
Kuhnle in the 40s and 50s, which have served as the basis for
a good deal of substantive research since.

Still, if you read Barbour's numbers into whatever box you are
using, his stuff will certainly be OK.

Which Jorgensen book?  I had thought that I had seen the
W-III in one of them.  No matter, as the numbers Allan has
thoughtfully provided will do quite nicely, just wondering for
my own amusement.

Hope things go well.

Horace