A new finish question

Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:21:04 -0400

Rob-

Sounds like it COULD be an acrylic lacquer.  Tougher than the
nitrocellulose type.  I would discourage the use of polyurethane in this
instance, because what you will be looking for is a good "mechanical
bond", and polys are not too good at that.  Lacquers, however, ARE.  You
could first shoot a coat of lacquer vinyl sealer to fill some of the
imperfections, followed by a COMPATIBLE (make sure!)lacquer top coat.
Just make sure you have cleaned, sanded (wet w/240), and rubbed the old
finish well (I like the maroon pads for this), and wiped well with naptha
RIGHT before shooting.

Good luck!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com