Down-striking discovery and up-striking pianist

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:06:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/1999 10:22:04 PM, Susan wrote:

<<so why would it take
more BTU's to boil? >>

Susan;
 I don't know the real answer to this but it do. For instance you can't cook
a two minute egg at 9,000 feet in the same amount of time that you can at 500
feet.
 I had a small propane stove that on fishing trips in Florida would have a
canteen cup boiling in about 6 minutes but in the Rockies it took about 12 or
thirteen minutes.  In Florida boiling/cooking chicken and rice took about
2hrs and in the Rockies it took almost 3.5 hrs.  In the Highlands it took two
heat tablets to heat a cup of water and on the beach one would do.
Perhaps fuel doesn't burn as efficiently at higher altitudes........ Or it
could be that the lower boiling temperature of water means that the
water/food has to heat longer to produce the same results at altitude.
As for Tibetans and their coffee, the same holds true for us'ns cause we
drink coffee that is too hot to hold our finger in without getting burnt, or
at least making us think we're burnt :-)

The following is from the Mt. Baldy guide:
"The surest treatment to destroy organisms is to boil water for at
least one minute before using. At higher elevations boil for three to five
minutes."
Jim Bryant (FL)