Hophornbeam

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 01 Oct 1999 10:15:07 -0200

Hi again,

The information from RennerUSA's site essentially is only relative
comparisons of select strengths of Weissbuche (carpinus betulus) against
maple (species not named). Unfortunately, I was unable to glean further
information regarding properties of said hornbeam.

A web search of "weissbuche" returned this site:
http://www.w-l.ch/Holzarten/seitenholz/weissbuche.htm

I can loosely translate most of the descriptions, but only guess at the
headings for the technical information as follows.

Raumgewicht: 0.75-0.95
Zugfestigkeit: 120-140 N/mm^2
Druckfestigkeit: 55-82 N/mm^2
Biegfestigkeit: 115-160 N/mm^2
Härte n.Brinell 12% Feuchtigkeit : H BII = 71 - 81 N/mm^2H BI = 30 - 35
N/mm^2

Now my question pertains to the use of hophornbeam in  manufacturing
flanges, jacks and hammer butts (ie. places less likely to add weight
than wippens, shanks, etc.), and my reason for this inquiry is to
ascertain whether hophornbeam's high expansion rates might exclude its
use for these (currently I am not considering plastic).

Thanks again,

Clark