Why Strings Break

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:37:02 EST

In a message dated 3/30/99 6:08:15 PM !!!First Boot!!!, JPIESIK@arinc.com
writes:

<< I thought that strings break during a tuning for a variety of reasons,
 most that we cannot control. Can we *completely* avoid string breakage
 during a tuning by using a particular tuning technique as I was told?

 I tell folks that the poor quality steel wire, the piano design, the
 condition of the piano, how hard the piano is played, and over-tension
 could all lead to string breakage. And if a string breaks, they pay to
 replace it. Is this a correct analysis?

 Regards,

 John Piesik, RPT
 Oceanside, CA

Funny you should ask. I am giving a mini tech class at the convention "why do
strings break." It will be interesting to hear what some people have to say. I
have some of my own ideas, and I am going to try to find a metallurgist to
help me identify some of my theories. Maybe some of you will attend my class.

Willem Blees