Why Strings Break

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 19:11:03 -0500

I've been fortunate to have only my share of broken strings -while- tuning,
as opposed to my share -and- those of someone else. 8-}

That said, I can easily recall the last three incidences (when it rains, it
pours):
1. S&S D, C&A fleet rental. While tuning for concert, one high treble
string broke while I was determining whether the note was sharp or flat --
the tuning pin had yet to be moved.
JH opinion: fatigue - had it not happened to me, it would have happened
during the concert.
2. Baldwin 'M', relatively new - same area, same scenario, except new-to-me
client with consistent track record of tuning. After acquiring this client,
I mentioned finding (and correcting) a badly installed plain wire in the
temperament area. Client said, "The former tuner broke it... he seemed
nervous the entire time, and especially after the string broke".
JH opinion: Rookie move. Both that middle area string, and the more recent
high treble string had been over-pulled due to tuner being on the wrong
pin. The first one just broke; the second one just approached the tensile
limit and waited for me to come along. There may be more with time -- can't
tell by just looking.
3. PSO, new client, bass string broke at coil while I was tuning.
JH opinion: Bass bridge had been replaced prior to client moving to my area
-- good job too! Existing bass strings were re-used. Person who replaced
the bridge got lucky -- I didn't. I expect to have more broken bass strings
on this piano.

Conclusions:
a. Certain scale terminations lend themselves to shearing piano wire;
b. Technique helps, but can't overcome a prior tuner's technique;
c. You may be the one who, by simply playing the note, pushes a fatigued
wire over the edge;
d. Customer always gets the opportunity to pay (unless you are the rookie
on the wrong pin)!

Disclaimer: Before someone hits the flame button about the "rookie"
reference, I'll just say that anyone can be on the wrong pin. However, a
part of technique is knowing not to pull the string up a half-octave before
becoming aware that it's the wrong pin.

At 09:23 AM 3/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Shifting gears a bit on the string replacement thread:
>
>I've heard that strings should never break during a tuning *if* you
>are using the proper technique. The proper technique, per one opinion,
>is to *always* lower tension before turning a pin.
>
>I thought that strings break during a tuning for a variety of reasons,
>most that we cannot control. Can we *completely* avoid string breakage
>during a tuning by using a particular tuning technique as I was told?
>
>I tell folks that the poor quality steel wire, the piano design, the
>condition of the piano, how hard the piano is played, and over-tension
>could all lead to string breakage. And if a string breaks, they pay to
>replace it. Is this a correct analysis?
>
>Regards,
>
>John Piesik, RPT
>Oceanside, CA