Leveling a plate? Del? Ron? Anybody?

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:44:55 -0600 (CST)

At 08:59 PM 3/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The recent thread on removing bass strings brought this up briefly.
>
>How do you set a grand plate that sets on wooden dowels so that the
>plate goes in 'unstressed'?  It's easy on the Baldwins where the plate
>just sets there on the bolts.  But on many pianos the plate sets on
>either wooden blocks, or dowels.
>
>I'm curious if anyone has a good technique for getting all of those
>dowels or blocks to come into contact with the bottom of the plate at
>the same time so that the plate isn't put under excessive stresses just
>being bolted into the case.  In the past I've generally come pretty
>close to duplicating what came out, but I'm thinking I can do better.
>
>Any thoughts???
>
>Thanks,
>
>Brian Trout
>Quarryville, Pa.

Hi Brian,
Like Jon and Jim said, the screw trick underneath works great. I've also
used slotted or socket end (no head) bolts with a lock nut underneath, and
an acorn nut above the plate and dispensed with dowels altogether. This is
roughly similar to the Yamaha system, and is my preference if the customer
will let me do it. It's really nice to be able to make fine adjustments in
plate height without having to pull it. I also DEARLY love vertical hitch pins.

 Ron