clunker, bounced checks, no one home

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:57:29 EST

In a message dated 3/29/99 8:56:50 PM Central Standard Time, fcahill@erols.com
writes:

<< Hey, I tuned for someone in a $800,000 home...check bounced! A charge
 them for the banks fee, also.
 --  >>

Everybody has their own opinions on things for sure and I do have some kind of
liability insurance (I really don't know much about it, it's just another
annual bill to pay, I've never used it), but people leave a key for me and the
door open quite frequently.  Around here, some people never lock their doors.
Mine is open during the day and when I'm out for a walk.  Sometimes I leave it
unlocked at night.

In 30 years of tuning pianos, no one yet has ever written me a bad check.

Here, you can walk into the first business you come to and find them needing
help.  You can go next door, they'll need it too and keep going and see Help
Wanted signs and even banners waving outside announcing job openings.
Sometimes service is slow at certain businesses because they are understaffed.
Starting wages are often $7.50 an hour for untrained, unskilled help.

There is a piano in 20% of the homes here.  Most of them are nice, only a few
clunkers.  Music is important in the community, at the university, the schools
and the churches.

I have been here now half of my life, 23 years.  I moved here to go to
graduate school from my childhood home in Los Angeles.  I would never even
consider going back there except to visit my extended family at Christmas time
and go to the Rose Bowl when our University football team wins the Big Ten
championship or if our National Football League team, the Green Bay Packers
were playing in the Super Bowl out there.

By the way, Madison is a small town, only about 120,000 and maybe a quarter
million when you include the surrounding suburbs (which have miles of green
space between them).  People still complain though but I never do.  They think
I'm foolish for having left California.

The grass is *always* greener, so they say.  It *is* greener here than in Los
Angeles in the spring and summer which have refreshing rains and spectacular
thunderstorms, the fall is more colorful and the winter has beautiful but
moderate snow and ice for winter sports.   No piano ever stays in tune more
than a few months.  When I tune my family's pianos in Los Angeles, they stay
in tune sometimes for 3 years at a time.  How can you make a living with such
stable conditions?

If I worked in Los Angeles, I'd *have* to tune ET!!!

Need I say more?

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin