Removing Bass Strings

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 23:33:36 -0500

Indeed, as with many procedures, there is a technique involved. It sounds
like your refinishing friend has yet to discover it. I'm not trying to
sound harsh, rather making a small point. In your words, "ended up chipping
the plate a lot...". I'm just questioning how many times does it take
before one backs off, says "Hey, this isn't working for me", and
re-evaluates the situation? I use becket breakers, must do my own plate
work, and can ill afford the luxury of being willfully destructive;
otherwise, I'm the one who must repair any damage. I can't speak for Newton
-- yes I can! He can't afford that type of cavalier attitude either!

At 08:58 PM 3/29/99 -0500, you wrote:
[cut]
>I've never used a becket breaker.  A friend of mine (the guy that does most
>of the
>refinishing...) said that he tried using them and ended up chipping the
>plate a lot
>when the coil would break and slam down onto the plate.  Perhaps there's a
>technique?

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net