Gunky Knuckles

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:32:55 EST

In a message dated 3/29/99 6:16:12 PM !!!First Boot!!!, piano@villagehost.com
writes:

<< I now have to clean some cruddy knuckles in a "rebuilt" Steinway. I
 can not convince the customer to replace them.  What is an
 effective method of cleaning knuckles now? I am considering
 naptha.

 Michael Musial RPT
 Reedsville Pa

What will the customer do if you can't find a solution for cleaning them? If
the knuckles are bad enough to be cleaned, they are probably bad enough to be
replaced. And if they are bad enough to be replaced, I bet the centers are
getting to the point where repinning is probably needed. Maybe its time to
tell this customer the best solution to the problem is a new set of shanks and
flanges, with new knuckles. And while you're at it, tell him a new set of
hammers will make the piano sound much better also.

The point is, trying to do the minimum repair to a quality instrument is the
best way to get a customer dissatisfied with your service, because even though
you tell him it will fix some of the problems, he expects all of the problems
to be taken care of, and you either wind up doing more work, for less pay, or
he is going to pay another tuner to do it for him, and leave you out. (how's
that for a long run on sentence)

Willem Blees