Replacing strings in uprights

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 16:28:57 -0600 (CST)

Gary,

   Use a small spring loaded clamp (whatever they're called) after you
get the loop on the hitch pin. The type with rubber on the ends. This
will protect the plate finish better than vise grips and IMHO, is easier
to use.

Avery

>I'm looking for tips on replacing broken strings on upright pianos when
>one has no one available to assistant.  I wasted too much time today in
>trying to keep the string on the hitch pin while making the coils on the
>tuning pin.
>Gary Isaac
>P.O. Box 550
>Umtata
>South Africa 5099
>Phone/Fax: +27 47 535-0376
>Email: isaac@wildcoast.com

Avery Todd, RPT                        Experience is something you don't
Moores School of Music                 get until just after you need it.
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893
713-743-3226
http://www.music.uh.edu/