BODDIN QUESTION ABOUT RESTRINGING

btrout@desupernet.net btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:10:02 -0500

Hi Danny,

I agree with you, I wouldn't want to turn the string more than 2 turns.
In actual practice, I probably end up with a little less than 2 turns in
the upper end and a little less than 1 in the bass, most of the
difference being in the angle at which I turn the coil onto the tuning
pin.  It's pretty easy to put 2 turns in some of the tenor strings, but
once you get to those large single strings, I have a pretty hard time
just getting one good twist!

Something that helps me to keep the coil tight and the loop on the hitch
pin is when I put the coil on the tuning pin, I wind it just past where
it needs to be to put it in the proper hole. Then I put tension on the
wire, do the little twist, stick the pin in the hole, and pound it in.
I do most of my restringing by myself, so that tension helps me to keep
from having wo walk around to the nose of the piano more than once for
each string.  (The only one I had trouble with was the Baldwin with
acujust hitch pins.  They can be a pain... but we have ways...

Another thought that came to mind was that it may be easier or harder to
put the twists into a wire depending upon not only it's diameter but
upon its length.  Maybe it's easier to put those two twists on a wire
that's seven feet long than one that's 3 feet long?  And perhaps a
longer wire with 2 twists would have less 'distortion' of the core wire
than the same 2 twists with a short one?  And for that matter, does it
matter?

But again, I do wonder about the quality of a string that would require
3 or 4 twists not to buzz and rattle.  Hmmm, I wonder if those guys on
the tape were twisting the string in the right direction???

Just my 2 cents.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, Pa.