Proper Approach? - CA pinblock repairs

Mike McCoy mjmc@ibm.net
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:00:08 -0500

Hi List,

   According to "The Glue Book" (Author William Tandy Young). "CA glues
can also cause skin conditions such as contact dermatitis. These
conditions are caused more by exposure to glue vapors than by skin
contact. CA's can also cause occupational asthma and are currently being
tested to determine if they are potential mutagenic and carcinogenic
agents. CA glue can permanently damage your eyesight if it gets in your
eyes, which is more likely to happen than you might think"

 Based on that, those of you using fans, eye protection and a vapor
respirator are wise, I for one do not want to end up with cancer,
respiratory or eye damage just because I saved a few pinblocks.

 My plan of attack is to use a 4" muffin fan, the type used to cool
electronic equipment, mounted to a piece of hardwood or plywood which is
mounted perpendicular to another piece of wood and 4" dryer vent hose on
the opposite side of the plywood from the fan, laying the contraption
right on the tuning pins, this way you only need to open the window 4"
or so to accommodate the hose. Graingers carries lots of the fans for
$20 or less and they have a 6' cord that fits the small spade lugs on
the fan for $8.00. I didn't build this thing yet but will try to draw it
for a Journal Tech Tip.

 Someone mentioned they use a respirator and carry their glues in a nice
aluminum camera case, also a very good idea. Hate to have the customer
think they can do this to their friends pianos with a $1.49 cent tube of
Krazy Glue or toss me out and spread the word I overcharged him just for
super gluing his/her piano.

Be safe....

--
Mike McCoy