SAT Switch

JPIESIK JPIESIK@arinc.com
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 8:57 -0500

OK, I admit that moving the foot switch jack from the rear of the SAT to the
side of the SAT is not simple as I previously stated - but, it is certainly not
that difficult.

I popped open my SAT II last night to take a look. A subminiature jack
(available from Radio Shack, same type used in the small radios for ear plugs)
could be positioned into one of the existing rivet holes on the side of the SAT.
I checked, and the jacks I have fit perfectly. Two small wires would be soldered
to the existing jack's circuit board (from the underside) and to the correct
lugs on the new jack. (Wire polarity is not an issue. The switch is a simple
momentary-on switch.) After making the mod the switch operates from either the
rear jack or the newly installed side jack. (Unfortunately, there does not
appear to be enough clearance inside the SAT for a front mounted jack.) I don't
recommended trying this without some basic soldering and electronics skills.

On a side note, it was curious to see that the battery pack is a set of four AA
Panasonic NiCads shrink wrapped together - shouldn't be too tough to replace on
your own when the batteries go bad.

Regards,

John Piesik, RPT
Oceanside, CA

Hi Don,
That wasn't my suggestion  I don't neccessarily think it is a good idea.
I don't know who suggested it. I had only said, he should go to Radio Shack
again, as that is where I got my plugs from.
Regards,
John