touch weight

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:43:48 -0500

Newton,

Thanks for confirming the definition of up weight and down weight
for me.  Yes, I am in the very early stages of developing an
automated device to measure these parameters.  Key to this
design is a digital scale.  I have been unable to find anything
ready-made, so I am trying to make one from scratch.

As for a motorized "thumper", how about starting with one of those
massage units that normally strap on the back of your hand?  If
the cushioned padding were removed and the unit were fastened
securely to the keybed, it would induce a nice steady vibration
that might be just what is needed to break static friction.

You also asked about measuring key inertia.  What is needed in
principle is a key stroke that is as hard as you dare, the limiting
factor being the potential for damaging the action.  With a very
hard key stroke, the reaction force due to inertia would swamp the
force due to friction.  (And if you already had done the
up/down weight measurement, you could even subtract out that
little difference.)

In practice, the way I would measure action inertia would
be to strike the key with an apparatus that contacted the key
through a spring, and then bounced back up.  If the
inertia of the apparatus were equal to that of the
action, then all of the momentum of the striking
apparatus would be transferred to the action, just like in
those swinging metal balls.  But if the inertia of the striking
apparatus is less than that of the action, then the striking
apparatus will rebound away from the key.  If you measure
how high it rebounds, you will be able to compute the action
inertia.  Just make sure that rebounding happens before the
hammer strikes the string, or else the measurement will
be invalid.  To make sure that the striking apparatus always
rebounds, make the inertia of the striking apparatus less than
the lowest expected action inertia.  Perhaps you could use
several different strikers - high inertia ones for measuring
bass action and low inertia ones for measuring treble
action inertia.  So  we have reduced the problem of measuring
action inertia to the measurement of the rebound height of a
springy striker.  And the way I would measure that is to time the
period between the first strike and the second one and use
the formula for free fall in gravity to relate the time to the
rebound height.  The striking event is easy to detect with
a piezo accelerometer in the striker (essentially, an old-
fashioned phonograph pickup).

-Bob Scott
 Ann Arbor, Michigan