Brass Rail Repairs

Mon, 22 Mar 1999 07:32:49 -0800

Tom Cole wrote:

> BSimon1234@AOL.COM wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering, however, why the piano companies did not anneal the original
> > rails. As you have shown, they easily could have, and I cannot imagine that
> > they did not know about it.
>

> I don't imagine that the manufacturers thought much about how the rails
> might work harden. It's such a unique application of the material.

More to the point is the fact that they had no expectation their pianos would still
be in service 75 to 100 years later.  The knew full well that the musical
performance they built into their pianos would dissipate over the years and that no
reasonable musician would want to play them after 20 to 40 years and that they
would then be discarded.  The brass rails would easily last that long no matter how
they were made.

I suspect that most of those manufacturers would be appalled at how low our musical
tolerance level has become.

And now I suppose I'd best get in my rush order for one of those glitzy new,
completely redesigned and greatly improved flame suits.  The deluxe, extra heavy
duty version, if you please.  And ship it Overnight Express.  Thank you.

Del