AcryliKey...anybody using it?

Chris Gregg cgregg@cadvision.com
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 11:06:30 -0700

Thomas,
	I have pasted in a private message that I received from   John Piesik,
with regards to a comparison of using the dental procedure and the Acrylic
method:

>I have now thoroughly investigated and compared the dental and acrylic
methods.
Here's what I now know:

1. Dental light-cure method:
- Does not bond as well as the acrylics to the ivory.
- Is translucent, repair is more readily visible than the acrylics.
- Harder to obtain a good color match.
- It is denser material than ivory, tougher to obtain smooth margins.
- Materials are very expensive and difficult to obtain.
- The surfaces must be prepared perfectly with fresh materials.
- The materials have definite shelf lives and will go bad after a year or so.
- Very easy to work with and shape, almost like putty.
- Cures quickly without any odors.
- Able to obtain very quick repairs, minimum setup.

2. Acrylic liquid/powder method:
- Acrylic/ivory bond is very strong.
- Is closer to the density of ivory, able to obtain nice, smooth margins.
- Smelly, dangerous odors and fumes.
- Mixing and use of materials can be tricky, takes practice.
- Materials are cheap and relatively easy to obtain.
- Acrylic is easier to file down and buff out.
- Easier to obtain good color match with acrylics.
- Acrylics take longer to prepare and cure - not a "quick fix".
- Setup time is longer, messy cleanup.

The most important thing is the result. The bond of the acrylics is stronger,
and the acrylic repair is nearly invisible. Thus, I'm abandoning the dental
materials. As soon as I am able to obtain the nail gel I'll have one more
method
to compare with. I agree with you, the acrylics are the best way to go, for
now!

John Piesik, RPT
>     Oceanside, CA

As you can see, it compares well.   I have used the acrylic for repairing
plastic keytops, but I sometimes find that there is a yellow line that
appears along the surface of the bond.  I would suggest that there are
other alternatives when rpairing plastic.

Chris Gregg RPT