Gray market pianos

Rhose Caught rhose@accessnt.com.au
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:33:47 +0930

Hi Paul

I don't know about the other brands but from my observations Yamaha makes at
least two types of the same model pianos.  In Australia, Yamaha normally
imports the 'tropical' version to cover our climatic variations. The
'standard' version can and does have problems in tropical regions.  The
reason for this is

1.   White glue not water resistant glue is used on the bridges and I guess
other places.
2.   Hammers are not stapled and are of an inferior quality.
3.
4.
5.

In Japan the pianos are made for local conditions, being a relative small
island the climatic conditions would be fairly stable ie not the extremes
that we have in USA and AUS.  One could guess that these pianos would be OK
in some areas but not others.  Otherwise why do they make two types of
pianos ?

The Greys are obviously standard pianos that have lived there lives in  a
set environment. If the change in environment is to great you may have
problems.

Tony    caute@accessnt.com.au