Chickering

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:32:15 EST

<<"Is this the inner rim, block construction, rather than bent? Is the joint
on
the transition between the straight side and the tail? Is anything actually
loose? Crack WIDENING?!! Can you get the platform off and reach things
without going through the top?">>

Ron;
 Unfortunately my description was not complete as your reply and the one from
Frank shows :-(

  This thingee is bent rim type construction, no flat side except the normal
bass side. I say bent rim 'type' because this rim is made in four sections:
A. One section runs from the bass cheek down the side to where the bend around
the bass bridge starts. at this point the straight side is spliced onto.....
B. Another piece which forms the back bow, until it passes the platform,
treble side,  by four inches.
C. At this point there is a cut from top to bottom and another bent piece is
butt spliced (60 degree angle) to it and this spliced piece runs around the
remainder of the bend to the beginning of the straight side at the treble.
D. At this point there is a shoulder block of solid material where the
straight and bent side pieces form the bend at the treble.
  The inner rim is made of shaped solid wood, pieced and joined.
 Bent rim 'type', but ,..remember it is a Chickering :-)

<<"Is anything actually loose? Crack WIDENING?!!">>
 Yep and YES!
 The platform will come off but that still will not give me the access that I
will need to clamp the area that will be needful of such.

 Normally I would say, "junk it" but in this case performance is not the main
issue, appearance restoration is.......besides if they could build it that way
'we' should be able to fix it huh? :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)