Piano Sales Forces...

VOCE88@AOL.COM VOCE88@AOL.COM
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:44:44 EST

In a message dated 3/16/99 9:45:35 AM Eastern Standard Time, Wimblees@AOL.COM
writes:

> Several of you on this list run retail operations and are also
>   technicians.  I am very interested in what advice you might give for
> someone
>   considering starting up such a business.

I have been following this thread with interest - I am sales manager for
Cunningham Piano Co of Philadelphia, Pa. and although we carry 9 lines of new
instruments, we have built an international reputation for rebuilding modern
and pre - modern pianos. We currently have a staff of 20 in a 16,000 sq. ft.
rebuilding facility (in addition to our retail space). It is easy for us to be
sure that every new piano that we sell, from Bosies to Young Changs, gets
properly regulated and tuned before delivery. Although, frankly, we still get
the occasional surprise from our field techs.

I think the secret to our success is that, in addition to retail awareness
advertising, we actually try to give the best value to each and every
customer. I know that sounds hokey, but as others have said, the techs and
teachers will begin to sense this from indirect and direct contact. We get a
good amount of unsolicited calls from those in the industry just asking about
us. Of course, we invite them in to tour our facilities and let them know
about organized events that we sponsor.

BTW, if any of you in the greater Philly area don't know us, PLEASE call me.
We want all in this industry to know that if their customer has a problem and
the piano came from Cunningham, there isn't a problem. OK, Im getting off my
soap box now.

Hope this was a useful contribution.

Richard Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.