Electronic Tuning Devices???

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:58:45 EST

In a message dated 3/10/99 9:11:47 PM Central Standard Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

<< I'd really like to know what you who are using either of these, (or
 others you think should be considered) think about how easy they are to
 use, and how good or bad they do as to the final result.

As others have said, your aural tuning skills are the most important but an
electronic tuner may be able to help you refine them.

I tuned for well over 20 years before getting an SAT.  It took a good two
years before it was anything less than an encumbrance to my work but I now use
it most of the time.  It can be used in many different ways.  It does not
compare at all to the other devices you mention, the Korg or the strobe tuner
(both of which are practically useless for tuning a piano).

Your best bet may be to get a used one at a bargain price by watching for
people wanting to sell one.  The new SAT III's are becoming available and many
people with the SAT II model will want to sell the old but perfectly usable
one.  The technology is basically the same, the new one is smaller and has
some advanced features that you can do without for a while.

I resisted using an ETD for a long time thinking that I could do it "faster,
better and cheaper" with my $3.00 tuning fork and my own two ears.  The main
benefit to me of the SAT has been the reduction of overall stress.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin