Oily Soot

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:41:14 EST

In a message dated 3/11/99 4:43:11 AM !!!First Boot!!!, gnewell@EN.COM writes:

<< Boy!  No wonder my insurance bill is so high! Why not just knock down
 the whole church and build another? {:>)
 				Greg Newell

Apparently you've never had to deal with an insurance company getting the work
done right. Perhaps your insurance rates are high, but that is because
consumers are fighting back. It used to be that consumers just accepted what
the insurance companies gave them, which was poor service. More and more
consumers are demanding better service. Right now the rates keep going up. But
there will come a time when the industry is going to have to get realistic,
either because of consumer demand, or government regulation.

Case in point. One of my customers bought a new grand piano 6 months ago. Last
month a pipe bust on the second floor, and the piano became the bucket. Water
all over the soundboard, pin block area, action etc. It was a low end piano,
but the damage was severe enough that I "totaled" the piano. (just like they
do with cars). I called the customer back last week and asked what was
happening. She told me the insurance company was going to pay the claim, but
then cancell the insurance. I told her to get a lawyer. She said, "My husband
is a lawyer." In my view, the action by the insurance company is down and out
blackmail. Either they don't pay the claim, or they will pay, but then won't
insure you anymore. And when you get other insurance, one of the questions on
the ap is "Were you ever rejected or canceled by another insurance company."
When you answer "yes", they charge you more, or deny you coverage. In other
words, you're screwed.

While on the one hand we need to be resourceful with our insurance claims, we
also have to be realistic, and know how much damage was caused, and who is
responsibly. Insurance company don't want to pay claims. But they also have to
be held accountable for the policies they write.

If the church needs to be rebuilt, because the damage was severe enough, the
insurance company should pay for that. Not try to "cover" up the soot with a
paint brush.

Willem Blees