My 10-minute tuning in practice!

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:38:36 EST

In a message dated 3/10/99 9:09:10 PM Central Standard Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

<< 've been hearing that it comes out better with two quick tunings than
 fighting with one long one when they're flat like this.  It's just now
 that I'm finding out just how true this is.

 Thanks for the threads on this topic.  They gave me a push in the right
 direction.  (Sorry if it seems a little boring to those more 'seasoned'
 tuners out there,  but it's pretty neat to me!)

 Best wishes to all,

 Brian Trout
 Quarryville, PA >>

Congratulations!  George Defebaugh must be smiling down upon you from the
great beyond.  This is just what he would have taught you to do had he been
there with you personally.  He passed away many years ago now, but he was
actively teaching this approach in the 70's and 80's.

I'm just glad I was able to pass this idea along to someone who hadn't thought
of it.  I think many people dread the idea of two passes thinking that they
will be working twice as hard or doing two jobs for the price of one or
something like that and so go on struggling with piano after piano.  But tell
me now, wasn't it much easier and less stressful doing it this way?

I'm also glad that these technique ideas are not really related to the more
controversial ideas I have about temperament and octaves.  At least there are
some positive contributions I can make to less experienced tuners that will
really work and not create an outright conflagration.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin