Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 07:51:21 -0500

Hi Lisa,
    ??? Your credibility is not "out the window" and controversy is a
natural part of this list.  I especially like what you say about music
being a combination of intervals which all must be acceptable.
     Using a lower level of stretch than Jim Colemans, I recall a
complaint from a very fine musician who noticed and objected to fast
10ths and 17ths.  High stretch advantages are that the top notes are
more musical with the mid range, and nicer 12ths and 19ths.
Disadvantages are faster 10ths, coupled with still faster 17ths, wider
octaves, and faster fourths.  This results in more beats not coinciding
in their speeds with each other--a rougher sound.  So it's a trade off,
and becomes a matter of subjectivity.
     I do suspect from the one or two responses to my question about the
level of stretch used in other lands that it may be generally lower.
Listening to Clavinovas, and foreign records also lends to this.
   IMHO stretch questions will never go away and neither will
controversy and revising of guild tests, but big changes likely happen
slowly--  So don't loose heart--keep working.

-Mike Jorgensen RPT