Fungus? (was Re: Steinway upright--verdigris?)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:15:08 -0500

Bill,

No disrespect -- indeed your nomenclature may be right. However, while
reading your reply, I kept getting snagged on the word 'fungus'. I began
thinking you were onto something new, and began conjuring up images of foot
sprays as a possible cure. I finally pulled out my (old) Webster's New
World dictionary:

fun-gus, n. 1. any of a group of plants, including mildews, molds,
mushrooms, rusts, etc., that have no leaves, flowers, or green color and
reproduce by means of spores. 2. something that grows rapidly like a
fungus. 3. in medicine, a spongy, diseased growth on the body.

ver-di-gris n. a  green or greenish-blue coating that forms like rust on
brass, bronze, or copper.

So what say? Instead of the old ways of treatment, perhaps we should we
start carrying aerosol cans of  fungicide? After checking with my
pharmacist, I found that Desenex and Tenactin are not only much cheaper
than Protek, they're also more readily available. 8-}

-3-

[quoted snippets]
>Any tubular rail actions in that period will suffer from the residue of
[fungus].
>This [fungus] seems to enjoy the environment created by the factory treatment.
>The use of high heat to kill the [fungus] seems to have some success...
>Some believe that the [fungus] will appear again, but that is not likely
for decades.

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.