CA glue - first time

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:05:59 EST

lawsonic@global.co.za writes:

<<  I did it for the hell of it: I took out the pin and  with my
 little 3gm tube smeared the pin with the glue, let it dry then tapped it
 back in and it was surprising tight. Main question - is technique correct?
 Yes or No answers in lines of 20 or less please.

It's not exactly what I would have done for this.  It appears that you "sized"
the pin which may have worked but read further and you'll see how the same
glue can work much better and provide guaranteed consistency.  Pull the pin
out and use medium or thick viscosity professional grade CA glue to apply both
in the hole and sparingly on the threads of the pin.  Drive back in
immediately using no accelerator.

The pin will still feel loose for the first few minutes but will seize up
dramatically in a few more.  You will most likely experience what seems to be
a perfectly normal and very tight pin afterwards.

There are other techniques where very thin CA glue is used as a tuning pin
"dope" and combined with driving the pin further.  This is usually effective.
But in this case, your pin was all the way in and still too loose to control.

The above method has worked for me in every case I have tried it and now
replaces my former method of using 5-minute Epoxy in the same way.  I believe
that CA glue might be expected to work a little better than Epoxy because of
it's ability to *combine* with, not just stick to other substances.  Thus, it
fuses together all the rust, dirt and deteriorated wood from the pinblock and
really creates some amazing friction which is consistent and therefore does
not leave the pin feeling jumpy.

While standard methods of using an oversize pin and other techniques for
repairing the hole are still completely valid and I'm sure some feel they are
preferable, this method is certainly a great alternative for old uprights and
lesser quality grands, consoles and spinets.  It could also be considered a
"conservative" or noninvasive way of repairing an antique or museum type
piano.  If it is carefully done, there will be no evidence of the repair
afterwards and the same pin, not a bright and shiny new one will be there,
thus preserving the overall appearance.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin