CA glue - first time

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:10:29 -0500

Removing the pin and smearing glue on it is analogous to changing a tire by
jacking up the car, placing it on a dolly and rolling the car away from the
tire.  Way too much work.

Use thin CA glue.  Bob Smith Supergold is my choice because it is not only
thin, but it is odorless.  With a small diameter plastic tube extension
such as those that come on spray cans, squirt three or four drops of CA on
the base of the pin.  Don't remove the pin, let the glue wick into the
pinblock and around the pin. Make sure the action is removed or covered on
a grand.  On an upright, either tilt the piano, or use masking tape and/or
paper towels under the pin to keep the CA off of everything else.  If
you're in a hurry, spray accelerator on the pin.  Within 30 seconds the pin
should be tighter, and it will continue to get tighter for hours.  Next
time you tune the piano, you might actually have to break the pin loose
just a little bit.

Will this work?  As an experiment, I removed a metal sleeve from around a
pin in an old upright, replaced the pin and string, then treated as
described above with CA about three times. Pin torque is now about 50
inch-#  a year later.   Not as good as new, but plenty to hold a stable
tuning.  When I started, the pin was loose enough to fall freely to the
bottom of the pin hole.

Frank Weston