Renner

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
8 Mar 1999 21:49:55 -0600

Dear David,

I have installed many sets of Renner shanks & flanges with no problems with
the spread.  I usually go for the Hamburg dimension (17 mm knuckle
position), especially on B's and D's; however, if you are retaining the
original New York repetitions, you might want to use the "modified" shanks
(16.2 mm knuckle position) instead, or you could shim the repetition
flanges with 1mm veneer just above the flange screw (to keep the jacks at
90º to the shanks).  Best would be to use the Renner repetitions as well.

I would remove leads starting from the balance rail; this will bring the
greatest improvement in terms of reducing inertia.  If the action is
already quite light, you should be able to remove a ton of lead.

Regards,

Charles

>List,
>
>I am replacing NY Steinway (teflon) shanks & flanges with
>Renner.  From the Renner kit I can see that the flange is a lot
>thinner than the NY flange.  Is this going to compress the
>action spread enough that I should shim with veneer or such?
>This action has tons of lead in it but the action is too light.
>My objective is to remove a lead or two.  Should I remove one
>furthest from the balance rail or two nearest the balance rail?
>Of all the Renner shank possiblilities I like the Hamburg best.
>Renner in their literature doesn't recommend it because of
>regulation problems.  It seems to regulate OK.  Any ideas
>where I might have problems?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>David Ilvedson
>David Ilvedson, RPT