Teflon thingees help

Mon, 08 Mar 1999 08:21:59 -0800

Newton Hunt wrote:

> > are "flexible" so that makes "gently deforming" kinda problematical I would think.
>
> Well, not entirely.  (Not refering to the last three words).
>
> Teflon has some flexability but is easily deformed which is permenant,
> one of the initial problems with the material.
>
> Del did a superb post.  Thank you Del.
>
>                 Newton

---------------------------------

Thank you, Newton.

Yes, Teflon does deform fairly easily.  It also cold-flows under repeated impact.  Which
is why the centers readily fail if the holes are not reamed straight and true and the
pins fit properly.  If the pins are fit properly, however, to a clean and straight hole,
the stresses developed are well within the limits of the material.  There is even enough
of a safety factor to allow for such things as hammer voicing, assuming, of course, that
the hammers are properly supported at the tails.

Regards,

Del

Del