Octave Stretch in other Lands

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 07 Mar 1999 15:53:52 -0500

> > In the middle sections we automatically listen to the 4:2,  the bass
> > the 6:3 and in the treble to 2:1.

Hi Richard,

Automatic is the operative word.  It has to do with hwere we hear the
dominate beats, either loudest or fastest.

The 3rd 10th does test the 4:2 octave.  In the high treble you can
switch to the 10th 17th to test the 2:1.  In the bass the best test is
the minor 3rd inverted to the major 6th.  This test checks the 6:3
octave.

I wasnt all the tests so the 3rd is the slower.

As to when to switch is a matter of taste and how you like you oftaves
to sound.

When I tune an octave I am looking for the most amount of stretch I
can get without producing an audible beat.  I want my beats so slow
they expire after the notes does.  Specifically what I am listening
for is the bloom that occurs when a beat begins but never ends.  This
will give you anough stretch so you can get 'pure' double and triple
octaves and the last 1/2 octave can be tuned so the first partial of
the upper note activates the second partial of the octave below but
stretched as much as possible without producing an objectionable beat.

		Newton