separated bass bridge

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 15:08:59 -0600

Greetings, All.

I have searched in the archives, the PTJ's that I have access to, and the
Reblitz book; but have not seen instructions on how to reglue a bass bridge
that has separated from the soundboard. The piano is a BOU (big old
upright), and the bridge is completely separated from the soundboard.

The only repair procedure that I've seen that comes close was described in
the Reblitz book for repairing a loose soundboard rib.  1/4" holes are
drilled thro soundboard and rib, into which are placed threaded rod with
washers and nuts (to act as clamps). After glueing, the bolts are removed
and dowels are inserted to replace the rods.

Would a procedure like this work for a bridge as well???  Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

John Formsma

P.S. The piano may not be worth the repair, but in its present condition, if
I botch it, it is no great loss either.